Dave Chappelle’s rep says no ‘SNL’ writers boycotting ahead of hosting gig



CNN

Dave Chappelle’s rep is denying a report that “Saturday Night Live” writers were boycotting before hosting the show this weekend.

On Wednesday, The New York Post, citing an unnamed source, reported that the show’s writers would be staying on for the episode.

“We have seen nothing to support media reports of a writer’s boycott,” Chappelle’s rep told CNN in a statement. In fact, the writers submitted over 40 sketches for Dave’s consideration and collaboration. Just like during Dave’s last ‘SNL’ appearances, you don’t want to miss it!

It will be Chappelle’s third time hosting.

‘SNL’ made the announcement about its return to Studio 8H last week.

News of Chappelle’s hiring was met with some furore on social media due to his controversial comments over the years about the transgender community, especially considering the show announced in September that it would be adding its first non-binary cast member, comedian and actor Molly Kearney. and has a non-binary trans writer, Celeste Yim.

CNN has reached out to representatives for “SNL,” creator Lorne Michaels, Kearney and Yim for comment.

Chappelle has made jokes about the trans community on set over the years and found himself on the receiving end of backlash from some members of the LGBTQ+ community and allies.

More recently, the 2021 Netflix special “The Closer” raised ire after Chappelle called it “team TERF,” short for “radical trans-exclusive feminist.”

“Gender is a fact,” Chappelle said during the special. “Every human being in this room, every human being on earth, had to walk through the legs of a woman to be on earth. That’s a fact.”

About 65 Netflix employees walked out amid the controversy, and earlier this year, one site canceled Chappelle’s planned appearance after drawing criticism for the decision to have him perform.

Netflix stood by its decision to air the special.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Previous post Watch: 1986 space shuttle Challenger piece found in Atlantic by film crew
Next post Iran should not be allowed to play in the World Cup, says former FIFA president Sepp Blatter